About Messiah Missionary Baptist Church
On Sunday, November 26, 1978, Rev. Lee A. Mullen made the decision to establish a church where he could pastor all of the people, all of the time, rather than just some of the people, some of the time.
With a membership totaling 78, some mops, brooms and various other cleaning supplies in hand, we began the job of getting our building and the Sanctuary ready for Sunday morning worship services. On December 3, 1978, with our slogan, ‘THE GOD WE SERVE IS ENOUGH”, we had our first Sunday morning worship service.
As the Lord added to the membership of the Church such as should be saved, we continued our efforts to modernizing our Church. We were able to purchase a piano and an organ, a public address system and a Church van. We acquired real estate property at 2389 Chelsea, a duplex apartment at 1425, 1427 Harrison and a parsonage at 1430 Harrison Street.
In 1991, because of declining health, Rev. Mullen needed help in the ministry and brought in Rev. Jerry J. Randolph to assist him. In 1995, Rev. Randolph became the Assistant Pastor and took over the leadership role of the Youth Ministry. In April of 1997, when Rev. Mullen realized that his health would prevent him from carrying his vision any further, he asked the membership to accept Rev. Randolph as Pastor and Rev. Mullen assume the position of Pastor Emeritus. Rev. Mullen knew that Rev. Randolph loved the Messiah Church family as much as he did and would be the one God anoints to carry forth the work of the Ministry into the next millennium.
Rev. Randolph wasted little time in securing the people of God by installing an alarm system and fence around the property. The evidence of his love for God’s people produced the addition of an elevator and audio system. New Bibles were placed in every pew of the church, Bible study began, a renewed push for Sunday Church School and access to the various Christian Education Congresses and workshops were just a few of the methods Rev. Randolph employed to equip the saints.
Knowing that where there is light, there is life and darkness can not exist, he changed all the wooden entrance doors to glass, replaced all of the Sanctuary lighting with chandeliers, and the brown, basement floors with white marble and tile. The growth and beauty of the plants on the pulpit, today, is the evidence that light and life are present and darkness is defeated.
Outreach ministries began such as Mid-week prayer service, Youth, Young Adults, Angel Food, Alpha 100, Summer Day Camp and Media. Computers have been added, an email address, a new organ, new carpet, seating in the balcony and choir have been replaced and the offices on the lower level have been renovated. We purchased the last 4 parcels of property (three on Chelsea Ave. and one on Harrison St.) needed to complete the shared vision of Pastors Mullin and Randolph.
In 2009, scenes from the Christian motion picture, “The Grace Card”, were filmed here at Messiah. Pastor Randolph along with other members of the congregation had small but significant parts in the film.
Under the leadership of Pastor Randolph, the Messiah Church Family has continued to step up a little higher. We are now “Totally Committed” to making the vision, as given to by God, a reality. Some faces and names of the congregation may have changed over the years, but the one constant is that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has allowed us to minister and change the lives of the congregation and community.
We have so much to be thankful for because the Lord has blessed us over the last few years to give birth to the sponsorship of a health fair, social media pages on Twitter, Youtube, Instagram and Facebook, as well as the development of a world class website which is accessed daily by people from all over the world. In addition, we implemented specialized leadership training sessions for Messiah’s leaders were everyone learns the difference between mere church membership and Kingdom citizenship and what’s required to be a Kingdom leader and Kingdom builder. And in the fall of 2012, we gave the lower level of our main facility a makeover including but not limited to new window treatments, tables, paint, floor tiles, a sound system and organ.
Today we give God the thanks for His abiding love. We thank His Son for our formation and mission. We thank the Holy Spirit for the power to go forth with our service to God. “We have come this far by faith” and are ever prayerful that we will die empty and be found faithful upon our Savior’s return.